Does online hypnotherapy work?
How do you do online hypnosis and does it work?
Online is the way I’ve been working for a while now and since the coronavirus outbreak it’s how I’ve been staying in touch with friends and family and also keeping up with my exercise. But I know some people are still reticent about online hypnosis and how it works. So I’m here to show you how it works and reassure you that it does work. In fact online hypnosis can be better than traditional office based sessions.
With the recent changes thrust upon us lately by the coronavirus many of us are learning just how much we can do online. Zoom, a platform many of us had never heard of before lockdown may now be your best buddy.
Online is the way I’ve been working for a while now and since the coronavirus outbreak it’s how I’ve been staying in touch with friends and family and keeping up with my exercise. But I know some people are still reticent about online hypnosis and how it works. So I’m here to show you how it works and reassure you that it does work. In fact online hypnosis can be better than traditional office based sessions.
What happens in an online hypnotherapy session
Setting up the right environment
All you need is
- A decent internet connection
- Somewhere comfortable where you won’t be disturbed for a while.
That could be in your living room, bedroom or office. You can sit on a chair or sofa or on your bed if you like. We’ll use Zoom (which is free for you to use) so we can see and hear each other. That’s all we need for a good session.
How online hypnosis works
It’s works in pretty much the same way as an office based hypnotherapy session. In a hypnotherapy session I, the hypnotherapist, essentially talk with you.
Following an initial conversation I guide you through suggestions to help you visualise, feel or think about your problem in different ways. In a way it’s like listening to a podcast or radio play. The action takes place in your mind’s eye.
In fact often times people like to close their eyes to help them concentrate. So as long as you can hear me and I can see you to check you’re okay then we have what we need. If the connection breaks we simply re-connect and continue. Although to be honest that’s pretty rare.
But does hypnosis really work online?
Yes, just like chatting with friends works, having meetings or doing exercise classes. It’s different yes but different doesn’t necessarily equal worse, sometimes it’s better. I would argue for hypnotherapy online can actually be better.
How online hypnotherapy is better than face to face hypnotherapy
- Okay for a start online hypnosis is still face to face. The only difference is you’re cosy at home in your own environment.
- There’s no commute so it saves you time, money and aggravation. You don’t arrive feeling flustered or annoyed by the person who cut you up in traffic. You can even get yourself a cup of tea ready.
- It gives you more choice. Perhaps you’re limited to certain appointment times because of other commitments like work. But what if you didn’t have to travel so you only need to have an hour or so spare?
- You can feel more comfortable talking to me because you’re in your own environment. We tend to feel safe and secure at home, we can relax there and chill out. But when we go to a new environment our guard is up a bit as it’s not familiar. The more comfortable you feel the better.
- It’s more flexible. Many therapists hire rooms by the hour. So you need to be out of the room by the end of the hour whatever happens because someone else may be waiting. With online sessions there’s more flexibility to go over the allotted time by a few minutes. So we don’t need to stop if we’re in the middle of something.
- The problem you want to resolve is in your life not in the therapy room. It’s an anxiety or fear in your everyday life which you want to change. So if we want to convince your mind to make a change in your life it makes sense to do hypnosis an environment which is part of your life.
- Also you get to choose to work with the person you want. You’re not restricted by geography, you don’t have to just pick from the options nearby. Instead you can choose the hypnotherapist who resonates with you.
Is it all up sides?
No. If you have a noisy family at home and can’t get five minutes peace then going to a therapy room is probably a better solution for you. Also if you have terrible internet then a traditional therapy room will be better. So at the end of the day it depends on your circumstances.
If you’re interested in finding out more text me or email and we can have a chat.